Monday, July 14, 2008

A warm weekend

This was a total bummer of a weekend. I stayed put at home the whole time, looks like age is catching up with me. How I miss those wild weekends during college when I would throw all caution to the wind and spend hours in the.....public library. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I guess I never was much of a people’s person. But that is material for another post.

Coming back to my weekend memoir, I caught up on a few movies that I have wanted to see for sometime now. Remember Al Gore (the guy who claimed that he invented the internet), I saw the documentary that he made called ‘An inconvenient truth’

Disappointingly it was not about Lewinsky and Clinton. It was about global warming. Like all men, the foremost thought that popped into my head was “Would this in anyway change the dressing habits of Rakhi Sawant ?”. Guys, unfortunately, the answer is ‘No’. Well, not without breaking the law. So that destroyed my hope of any silver lining that this cloud of global warming may have had.

The gist of the documentary was that the earth is getting warmer and warmer and Shilpa Shetty’s legs are not the cause for it. Apparently, it is caused by all the fossil fuel that we are burning up every day. Although that sounds pretty convincing, I believe the root cause of global warming is the Sun.

As a concerned global citizen, I could not let this happen to Earth, at least not until I get my room air conditioned. So after some intense brainstorming which lasted all of twenty two seconds, I came up with a pretty neat idea inspired by what Archimedes had said long ago - “Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth” (Apparently, he was trying to board a public bus).

Here is my idea, first we get a really long pole and push it all the way to Venus which we shall use as our support. And now we PUSH real hard, this should move us away from the sun a few thousand kilometers. Presto!! Problem solved.

But then again, this may not work. Firstly, because all that pushing would require a huge effort involving everyone on earth and I am busy till next Friday. Secondly, Archimedes is hardly a guy to be taken seriously. He ran out of his bathtub leaving his underwear behind, for crying out loud !!.

So looks like we would need to fall back on the traditional solutions that the movie talked about. Plant more trees, use car pooling and public transport, and walk as much as you can.

I do a little of the first two but the last one is what I do very regularly. It feels good to know that I am doing my part to fix the planet. I walk as much as I can.

Twenty minutes on the treadmill everyday should be good enough, don’t you think ?

No comments: