Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in Bangalore

It feels great to be back after three weeks of being away. It was a wonderful feeling to step out of the plane after it landed in Bangalore. Well, not because I missed home or my people, the reason is a lot less appealing. Picture this; you are on an overnight flight for 18 hours which basically means you are stuck in a plane full of people who have not brushed their teeth for a whole day.

The person next to me seemed to be bent upon chatting with me. Come on, in a state like that, I would not even want to talk to Salma Hayek, anything else is fine but NO TALKING period. I did try giving him some subtle hints like pulling myself away from him every time he spoke or stuffing the pillow on my face and once I even offered him a chewing gum and a toilet brush...ha ha...of course, I am kidding, I did not really offer him the chewing gum. But the man refused to take any hints and merrily continued to talk and all I could do was time my breathing to synchronize with his pauses. I guess it could have been worse, it could have been a plane full of people with upset stomachs (hey think about it, three hundred people eating airplane food !!, with an arsenal like that, we can repulse any Martian attack on Earth). And unlike buses, you cannot even open a window and gasp for air, I would have given it a shot though

I am telling you, I was the happiest person on the plane when it landed.

However, the baggage handling at the new airport needs work. We had to wait for so long at the carousal to get our baggage that a few people actually had to shave twice by the time we got our bags (and one of them was a woman, yeah that’s how slow it was).

I did have the weekend to get up to date with the state of affairs here. The state government is still around which is good news...I think. India lost the cricket finals yesterday which means the boys are in fine touch as usual. And all the potholes on my street are still there (oh how I missed you all my little ones. I always say that potholes are like children, you can see them grow right before your eyes).

And Salma, I was only kidding. I would love to hear you talk, whatever be the time of day...just let me get a surgical mask….

No comments: