Thursday, February 12, 2009

A 'lovely' weekend ahead

So it is that time of the year where love is in the air because VD is just around the corner. Just to be clear, I am not referring to venereal disease but to Valentine’s Day, a day where couples reaffirm their love for each other by buying tacky gifts while others sulk, the others include the singles and the married.

But this year, we have a self styled moral police group called ‘The Army of Lord Rama’ (By the way, the legendary army of Rama actually comprised of monkeys. Apparently, the irony is lost on these douchebags) which is threatening to disrupt all celebrations. I think it is important to note that all such protests come from groups comprising only men. And more importantly, most of these men are too ugly to even have girlfriends. I think that’s the root of their frustrations.

Be that as it may, my pet theory is that Valentine’s Day is a creation of the card companies and gift shops. They have the biggest stake in the whole thing. Have you noticed how they keep telling you to gift the same bunch of presents for pretty much every occasion ?.

It’s Valentine’s ?.... Buy soft toys, chocolates and cards.

Colleague had a baby ?.... Buy soft toys, chocolates and cards.

Friend had a piles operation ?....Buy soft toys...well, I guess that should do.

I don’t mind the commerce driven celebration hype but my grouse is that it is always men who are urged to buy presents and it is never the other way around. How about having commercials which say something like this for a change...

“Women, make your man feel special this Valentine’s, gift him an Xbox 360 or the Swim Suit Edition of Sports Illustrated”

But nooo !! you never see ads like that. I agree that I am stereotyping men as Xbox freaks thinking about bikini clad women all the time. For the record, let me clarify that not all men are like that...some prefer Sony PlayStation.

Anyway, the important thing is to forget about who is going to buy what for whom but instead enjoy the spirit of the occasion.

And for all the singles out there, we can enjoy the spirit as well especially the ones that come in a six pack

4 comments:

Sundari said...

Aprameya, Amidst so much negative news, your blog comes out as a whiff of fresh air. Had a nice laugh :) I like the reason you quoted for these men protesting :)) And I think this is almost true....

Saaveri... said...

how true.... :) i had a laugh.. keep it going ur blogs are getting better and better

Aprameya said...

Sundari, I am flattered by the "fresh air" compliment. I do my bit in helping the environment :-)

Saveri, good to hear from you after a looong time. Thanks for the encouragement.

What's Next said...
This comment has been removed by the author.