Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An Ode to recession

“Oh master, I have traveled from afar,
All for a moment of audience with you
Life has been tough and I am losing hope
I seek your wisdom to help me through”

“What ails you, my son?” asked the master.
“Why do you despair so ?
I sense grief in your heart
And on your visage, it does show”

And thus lamented the devotee
“What used to cost one rupee now costs five
Inflation is at an all time high
Now I walk everywhere, I cannot afford to drive”

“The stock market swings like a mad monkey
Wiping out all profits and bringing only pain
And no matter when and what I invest in,
All my money goes down the drain”

“Buy your own house the banks said,
We shall give you all the money as a loan
The interest rates have hit the roof
And all I do now is groan”

“Oh wise one, help me find a way out
A way out of this intricate maze
What can I do to make my life better
To get over this horrible phase

Answered the master in a voice serene “Get rid of your credit cards,
Don’t fall for telemarketing calls
Don’t buy stuff you don’t need
And stop splurging in malls”

And at that moment, the devotee was enlightened
“I shall follow what you said, thus I hereby pledge”
He then asked the master
“Where from did you gain this knowledge ?”

Replied the master “I am no wise man, I am a victim of recession too
The long beard is because I don’t have money to shave
I could not meet my mortgage payments
And so I live in this cave”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... If God is in every one of us, then sure he too will be suffering from GREED and would've invested unwisely in sensex after it crossed 12k and bought a house in Bangalore at insane price after 2004! ;-)

The problem is, no govt. can legislate against greed! :-(

Anonymous said...

:-) :-)
Where did u hide this talent all this while? or the fear of recession is bringing out the best in you ? :-)

Sundari said...

Good one !

Anonymous said...

:D borderline blasphemy presented with poetic lyricism, scepticism and mirth. frustatingly insightful too. nice! - C